title="Egglescliffe & Eaglescliffe Parish Council in Cleveland">

Local History

 

First recorded in the 11th Century, Egglescliffe was a small village on the Co. Durham side of the tidal River Tees, with a Parish Church dating back in parts to the 12th Century. The Ancient Parish consisted of three townships, of which one became the Civil Parish of Egglescliffe in 1894, when our Parish Council was formed.
 
In 1825 the Stockton & Darlington Railway was opened through the Parish. Two years later the victim of the World’s first recorded fatality on a public railway was buried in the Churchyard here. A further railway line 25 years later entered the Parish by the 48-arch Yarm Viaduct to a new station called “Eaglescliffe”. 
 
A new settlement, Eaglescliffe Junction, partly in the Parish, grew up round the Station. In the latter half of the 20th Century new houses were built, joining Egglescliffe village to Eaglescliffe Junction and bringing the population to 7908 by 2001. As most of the Parish has a postal address “Eaglescliffe”, the Parish Council is now known as “Egglescliffe & Eaglescliffe Council”.
 
Connected to Yarm by the medieval YarmBridge and only 5 miles from Stockton-on-Tees, the Parish has one comprehensive and four primary schools. There is light industry, but the chemical works closed in 2010.
 
The parish has been in the Borough of Stockton-on-Tees since 1974. It was in the County of Cleveland from 1974 until the County was abolished in 1996.